dark future - Wrought in Ash
Military Vessel Classifications
A small nimble vessel, often possessing no superluminal capabilities carrying no more crew space than minimum required for operation, and usually with no extended life support capabilities such as consumables, waste processing, crew berths, suspension tanks, etc. Typically hosted by ground stations, space installations or larger space going vessels. Common variations include:
- Escort: A long range superluminal craft crewed by one to four with extended life support and suspension tanks typically armed with a large compliment of anti-fighter and tactical theater missiles as well as direct fire energy weapons. These fighters can remain in space for weeks or even months to assist a primary craft to achieve a destination or objective and provide additional firepower and protection from any threat encountered.
- Heavy: A large long range two to five crewed craft capable of carrying a modular Bowman Effect Drive for extended range operations. Heavy fighters typically bear a load of Tactical and Theater Missiles and Torpedoes and a common mission profile is to cripple or destroy opposing craft or installations of any size similar to old Earth style strategic bombers. Most also possess minor EW and anti-fighter defenses. While possessing formidable firepower, Heavy Fighters are vulnerable to their smaller more nimble brethren.
- Interceptor: A single crew very fast short range subluminal craft equipped with a short cycle Bowman Effect Drive and anti-fighter/torpedo munitions and direct fire energy weapons. The typical Interceptor mission profile is to counter incoming threats to a larger craft or fleet.
- Stealth: A two or three man vessel with superluminal capabilities. Stealth Fighters typically carry a blended load of missiles and torpedoes or special purpose payloads. Employing a variety of low observability technologies and materials, they are intended to escape detection for as long as possible while still able to be applied effectively towards an objective. While typically deployed to neutralize key targets without warning, Stealth Fighters are often used for extreme range or hostile sector reconnaissance.
- Strike: A single crew medium range craft carrying a modular Bowman Effect Drive and a compliment of missiles and tactical scale torpedoes primarily intended to eliminate defensive installations, damage fighter bays, and orbital defenses thereby allowing other friendly craft to approach a target under reduced threat conditions.
- Superiority: Typically a long range one or two crewed subluminal craft deployed to establish and maintain superiority over a volume of space. Deployed with a compliment of anti-fighter missiles and potentially tactical theater torpedoes, advanced versions of superiority fighters often equip short cycle Bowman Effect Devices for brief periods of intense superluminal speed and maneuverability.
- Transatmospheric (TA): Most space going vehicles are designed to be built and operated in vacuum. While some may have a somewhat aerodynamic appearance, the hulls of these vessels cannot withstand the heat of atmospheric translation and the pressures exerted by a planetary atmosphere could conceivably breach its hull. Transatmospheric fighters are capable of flying in many gaseous atmospheric environments, possess enough power to break orbit and perform operations in both environments. They are typically used to support ground forces or as supplemental defenses during planetary assaults.
Attendant support spacecraft with a wide variety of non-combat operations.
- Shuttle: A transport craft of varying size and design for carrying crew, equipment, and/or materiel from point to point. Some shuttles are capable of transatmospheric operations others have Bowman Effect Drives for long range operations. Smaller civilian transport vessels would be classified as Shuttles if they were pressed into military service.
- SigInt(EW/Recon): A two or three crewed craft with minimal armament carrying a compliment of electronic warfare suites and sensor arrays, usually employed to extend a fleet or battle groups sensor/detection envelope. In military engagements SigInt platforms detect and jam sensors, targeting devices and munitions sourced by torpedoes, missiles, and other craft at wide variety of ranges in essence providing ECM and ECCM support. In a reconnaissance role, SigInt platforms are utilized due to the extensive sensor, EW capabilities they possess as well as the survivability of a small nimble craft. Most SigInt platforms are equipped with a modular Bowman Effect Drive for long range operations.
- Engineering: Typically outfitted for 3 to 5 crew and a compliment of heavy equipment for construction and repair, and Engineering Service vessel is most commonly seen crisscrossing the outer hull of a larger craft or station performing various maintenance and repair work. A subset of the Engineering Service type is the Damage Control Shuttle. These are specialized heavily armored craft crewed and equipped to perform repairs on a capital ship in the midst of combat, sometimes even using the body of the vessel itself to patch hull breaches.
- Search and Rescue: Essentially space borne ambulances with powerful short-medium range sensors, specialized utility arrays and Bowman Effect Drives, these craft are deployed into the midst of battle or disaster to find and recover lost crew. Equipped with heavy tools and external manipulators, they can tear through obstacles to extract anyone, living or dead, and bring them inside the craft itself where trauma teams and medical facilities await. These craft are often given names evoking mother figures, popular entertainment stars, religious doctrine or medical terminology and the crews are as well respected and admired as any multiple ace fighter pilot.
- Tender: Often almost as large as a full scale capital vessel, these craft carry or even manufacture supplies, consumables, ammunition, parts and raw material in a fleet or battle group. Most Tenders are lightly armed yet heavily armored and frequently have a compliment of escorts and other small service craft. Many smaller dedicated warships do not have the systems required to recycle water or biological waste, refine raw materials into useful ones, nor possess manufacturing facilities flexible enough to remanufacture/repair parts or fabricate new ones as necessary. Tenders fill these roles in fleets and battle groups thereby extending a deployment indefinitely.
>2000 Assault/Recon/Signal Intelligence/SAR
>3000 tons Fast Attack/Missile/Research/War/Aegis